Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

BEST "Am I in Buffalo?" EVER

Throughout the three years I've known Kimmmm, we've encountered a few changes here and there. Our residence, favorite hangouts, crushes, haircolor. But two things have remained constant: Our crush on Matt Lauer and Kimmm's undying love for Wegmans.

Kimmm's love stemmed from the Transit Road Wegmans, which employed not one, but two Figels. (Note: Wegmans ranked #1 on Fortune's 2005 "Best Companys to Work For" list).
Shelia (her little sis) graduated from Wegmans' acclaimed Produce University, and today, she can hand-select a ripe pineapple with the best of them.
Meanwhile, Kimmmm has honed the bagging skills that are always nice to have if the whole "working for the man" falls through. You should see her in action when we're at a self-checkout line.
Of course, when we're at a full-service checkout line, I pity the baggers as Kimmmm casts a judging glare that reads, "Frozen goods stay with frozen goods! Heavy goods go on bottom! Double bag, always double bag!"
Actually, she just says, "I'll do it myself."

But Kimmmm was more than a faithful employee, she was a loyal customer. These days, she has been forced to slum it with the rest of us that get by without a Wegmans in the nation's capital. And I know she dies a little inside each time she passes an unorganized produce display. The horror! I, however, have been getting by just fine with the grocery options available. But then again, I had never set foot inside a Wegmans.

Until Monday.

I was heading out West to a barbecue. I'm not talking about Falls Church or Tysons Corner. I'm talking beyond Dulles. Well, my friend and I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a few items and to my sheer amazement, we passed a Wegmans. Kimmmm has taught me that if I am ever given the opportunity to visit a Wegmans, I should undoubtedly do so. So I did.

Thousands of questions began running through my mind. Will this live up to the hype? Will I get lost inside? Will Danny Wegman be serving at Danny's Deli? Am I in Buffalo? (The car ride was pretty long, I might as well have been.) I ventured inside ready to be amazed. And I was. It really is an enormous Whole Foods, minus the whole "organic-only" thing.

I selected several nectarines and plums from the neatly assembled arrangement, using the techniques Sheila had previously demonstrated. Sadly I could not benefit from the other sections of the store as I would not return home for several hours and who wants to eat fresh baked bread or anything from a deli that has been sitting in a 120-degree car for 4 hours? Not this girl.

Later, when I returned home and shared my first Wegmans experience with Kimmm, she exclaimed, "this really IS your Best Summer Ever!"

Now all I have to do is develop an interest in hockey and befriend some Canadians. Then, I will have met the Buffalonian standards of a quality being.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    as a fellow buffalonian transplant to dc, i can also say that wegmans is a nice echo of home -- even without the labatt specials

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home