Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Crepes*

I want to start this post by saying that I like Bob Evans. I've always liked Bob Evans. As a child, my sister and I affectionately referred to it as "Blob Evans". My freshman year of college, a certain Cowboy and I would go there for breakfast on the weekends. We would pick up a copy of the Columbus Dispatch and spend a good hour and a half slurping down coffee, eggs, and spreading the paper all over the table. He would read Sports and Local News, I would read Style and National News.

Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year of college, I would occasionally go there with girlfriends after a night of drinking to take the edge off my hangover. When I was home from college, Bob Evans was the perfect place to meet my grandma for a quick breakfast because it was directly between my parents house and her house. I would go to Bob's with my friend Carrie on the rare (and extremely joyous) occasion that our morning class was cancelled.

Granted, I'm not as big of a fan as Ph, who actually inquired and looked into travelling to the Homestead (located in Rio Grande, Ohio if you are interested), but I think that the above paragraph demonstrates that I've been a fairly loyal, if not frequent customer.

This past weekend, while taking a break from the Book Fairs and went to good ole Blob's for some greasy breakfastey goodness. Anyway, I had been up and around for a while, and since I had a few more book fairs to hit up, I decided that I should probably go for something that wouldn't completely slow me down like the standard Blob's fare.

I decided to get some crepes. Maybe it's because I've seen one too many freakin' ihop commercials and they've somehow embedded themselves in my subconscious, or maybe it's because I was on such a book high that I completely lost all judgement, but somehow I found myself saying to our very perky waitress, "I'll have the raspberry crepes".

Now, as much as I've loved Bob's (and yes, we're at the point where I can affectionately refer to Mr. Evans as "Bob"), I should have known that Bob's would have a certain degree of difficulty making a flavourful, yet delicate French breakfast item.

Before I had time to ponder all of this, they arrived. Underneath the whipped cream, and raspberry pie filling, there were indeed what looked like crepes.

I took a bite.

Sugary.

I took a second taste.

Really sweet.

My third bite is when my teeth started to hurt.

I was pretty sure that I had developed Type II diabetes by my fourth bite.

My fifth and sixth bites were total blurs as the sugar raced through my bloodstream and my head started to spin, and I started to rock back and forth slightly in my seat. Ph probably noticed that I was talking a little bit faster as we discussed Beanie Babies, Boyd's Bears, and Precious Moments figurenes.

Now that I've come down from the sugar high (and yes, it took a day or two), one question remains..... Bob, why have thou forsaken me? Why would you do what you what you did to something so delicious in the first place??

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home