Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Monday, August 28, 2006

BEST "I'm from Wisconsin" EVER

Being a native Midwesterner (Hoosier to be exact), I often fall prey to stereotypes and find myself denying such fabrications....No, I did not live on a farm. Yes, I did wear shoes. Yes, we did have indoor plumbing.

Well, one of my friends, a fellow Midwesterner (Wisconsinite to be exact) has also been victim of such stereotyping when it applies specifically to his home state. Only, his actions do more than confirm the stereotypes.

Two specific examples stick out in my mind:

Awhile back, we were attending a Nationals game with the Wisconsinite, and shortly after arriving, he began to inspect the beer selection. When he spotted the Miller Genuine Draft vendor, he took in a deep breath of the MGD-saturated ballgame atmosphere and remarked, "Ahhhhh, the smell of my childhood."

Only in Wisconsin does the smell of an ice-cold MGD take you back to the age of 5.

In related news, Milwaukee was just named America's Drunkest City. DC was a distant 20th.

Then, this past Saturday, Kimmmm and I attended a friend of a friend of a friend's (the Wisconsinite) barbecue. When the burgers were ready, the following conversation took place between the hostess and the Wisconsinite:

Hostess: Who wants cheese on their burger?

the Wisconsinite: What kind of cheese?

Silence. You could hear crickets chirping.

the Wisconsinite:
What? I'm from Wisconsin.

Only in Wisconsin do they take cheese so seriously that they inquire about the type of cheese on a cheeseburger before consuming it.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Blue Eyes said...

    You forgot to mention the abundance of corn in Indiana.

     
  • At 2:41 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    And our love for John Mellencamp.

    Laugh it up, Buffalo. Laugh it up. Remind me, do you have winter for 11 or 12 months of the year? Eh?

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger I-66 said...

    C'mon. It's not 'sconsin unless they end it with "donchano"



    ...Bobby's World anyone?

     
  • At 4:04 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Surrounded by several 'sconsinites on Saturday, I realized how accurate "That 70s Show" really is. I imagine they all hang with Kelso, Fez, and company back in Eric's basement...

    ...Hello Wisconsin!!!

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    When I went to college, my freshman RA put our names and home towns on the doors - so mine said "Kelly - Mountainhome, PA..." - Some guy from Indiana came past my door one day and asked..." Um. Mountainhome, eh? Do you ever...um, go to town or anything?" I kinda laughed and assured him that once per week, we hitched up the wagon and went shopping. Sheesh.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home