Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Friday, August 18, 2006

BEST Walking is Overrated EVER

It's official. No matter how obese our country gets, we continue to reinvent the wheel (pun intended) to promote laziness.

Case and point: Segway x2

This morning, the Express informed me that Segway was unveiling a new rugged x2 model ($5,495): With its thick tires suitable for grass, gravel, sand or dirt, adventure travelers bored with lacing up hiking boots can let this personal transporter do the work. By merely leaning left, right or forward, they'll zoom to 12.5 mph.

For the sake of comic relief during a hectic morning, I ventured on over to the Segway website to take a closer look. The website does not disappoint. The homepage/advertisement showcases different people in a variety of natural settings believed appropriate to ride a Segway (The captions alone were worth the visit to the site. Hysterical.):

  • Caption 1: Simply moving. One woman decked out in business attire (accessorized by a helmet) zooms along what appears to be an office corridor in her Segway. Simply moving? Opposed to what? Walking down the corridor at work?

  • Caption 2: Mobility evolved. Only shown from the waist down, a man also decked out in business attire zooms along a hallway. I'm not sure where these people work, but some company out there appears to have an abundance of long, empty hallways just begging to employ Segway owners. I liked learning that mobility has evolved-- it is about time we got past this Neanderthal chore of placing one foot in front of another.

  • Caption 3: Minimalist design, Multitude of uses. Finally the site unveils the eagerly anticipated Segway x2...by a man decked out in park ranger gear (accessorized by a nametag, badge, and helmet). It really does live up to its multitude of uses as the "ranger" appears to off-road through the woods despite the fact that an obvious walking path is right next to him. I wonder if a bear can reach 12.5 mph.

And to think Kimmmm and I were just talking about going hiking this weekend. So help me, if we're walking along the hiking path at Great Falls and I hear a Segway-rider shout, "Lefffttt..," that Segway-rider may end up with a great fall of his own. I'm just saying...

8 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM , Blogger Ph said...

    Here's a pretty funny picture too. Check it out. I love that she appears to be flying down some bridge in her office building...

    http://www.segway.com/personal-transporter/index.html

     
  • At 10:40 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    I think for $5500 I could hire people to carry me everywhere. I think I'll do that instead.

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Oh, that's the one I was referring to in Caption 1. Unbelievable. I love that the mastermind behind this ad deemed an office building the most suitable place for a Segway.

    And I like the eco-friendly idea of having people carry you around. At least somebody will be getting exercise.

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    Exactly. If I can help someone else with their cardio, then I feel like I'm contributing to the improvement of society.

    Besides, I play for 3 soccer teams. I need my rest sometime.

     
  • At 7:23 PM , Blogger JTU said...

    I still want to go on a "Segs in the City" tour. Anybody else game?

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Ph said...

    I'll totally go with you, Texan!! You just have to come back and visit.

     
  • At 9:30 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    I cannot wait to see this!

    I'll make sure Kimmmm has her camera phone with her to document the comical tour that is "Segs in the City."

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Blogger Blue Eyes said...

    if we do a segs in the city tour i'm totally there.... why walk when you can lean? We will have to get a video camera to document it though.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home