Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Monday, August 07, 2006

BEST Holiday EVER

Let me preface this by saying I do not like to shop. Never have, never will. However, in spite of my aversion to the act of shopping, I felt it was my civic duty to partake in Virginia's very first Tax Free Holiday. You know, helping the economy and all.

This past weekend, stores all across the Commonwealth sold clothing (less than $100) and school supplies (less than $20) free of sales tax. I decided to play it safe and just stick around Clarendon rather than risk the utter chaos that is mall shopping in the DC metro area.

I started browsing the Apple Store, but quickly concluded that a new iMac does not qualify as an article of clothing. And while it could be considered a school supply, it is certainly not under $20, so I journeyed on. I scanned the new Fall lines and end-of-Summer sales of South Moon Under and Free People, all the while realizing that I simply to do not need a single article of clothing, much less a very expensive designer article of clothing. At this point, I became concerned that the holiday would pass me by without ever having the chance to celebrate it.

Alas, I decided to make one final stop in one of my favorite (though not always affordable) boutiques, All About Jane. I scanned its end-of-Summer sale to avoid buying a $500 article of clothing I simply did not need. And within a few minutes, I was at the cash register with a lavender dress and a tan boho skirt. After all, I could justify my impulsive summer purchases in that the typical DC summer lasts well into October, right? Yep, I am SUCH a sucker for marketing.

In the end, I figure I kept a good $8, maybe $9 from entering Uncle Sam's deep pockets. And judging from my graduate student loan interest rate* that just doubled overnight, I will do everything in my power to stick it to Uncle Sam. He and I are in such a giant fight right now!

Well, in case you missed the first Tax-Free VA Holiday, you can still enjoy Tax-Free DC through August 13th. Happy shopping!

*If anyone knows of a loan with a good interest rate, I'm all ears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home