Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Monday, September 04, 2006

BEST Off to A Rocky Start EVER!

As you put away your white clothes for another year, you are probably thinking to yourself, "What is to become of my favorite blog? Best Summer Evah?" Well it turns out dear reader that there is no need for concern, as we are introducing the new and improved blog.... BEST FALL EVER. Of course, the link will stay the same, the blog will stay the same, all that's changing is the season. So for all six of you who read this... stay with us!

Anyway, to celebrate the end of the summer and kickoff the BEST FALL EVER, Emmmm and myself headed up to New York City with some friends to visit Mike and attend the Brazilian Street Festival. The weekend was packed with good times and many wonderful memories were created, which will be blogged about in the coming days.

However, the first bit of the trip was sort of rocky, which sometimes happens when big changes, such as seasons changes occur.

The trip started off a bit rocky with my greyhound bus ride up to New York. For those of you that have never had the experience that is riding a greyhound bus from DC to New York City, I recommend that you choose one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year with hurricane remnants thrown in. You won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't disappointed at all during the seven (it usually takes four) smurfing hours that I sat as the bus inched forward with a maximum speed of 3 miles per hour as the rain poured down. It didn't help matters that I finished my book, my ipod died, and the surrounding passengers did their best to ensure that no one was going to sleep on the bus as we sat on the Jersey Turnpike in the pouring rain. But it's not the worst greyhound ride I've ever had. That one is a blog for another day.

On Saturday, before everyone else arrived, The Texan and I went down to the South Seaport to check out the Bodies exhibit. Even though I am one of the most squeamish people on the face of this planet, I sort of wanted to see the exhibit because it is pretty controversial. I'm going to say this, as someone who has paid the fee and officially seen the exhibit.... you probably don't want to see it. For me personally, the exhibit raised a lot of questions about the ethics behind exactly how these cadavers were obtained and how they were presented. Plus the room with fetuses almost made me throw up. I believe the intent is to show what people are made of and as the title implies, what our bodies look like inside. I'll fill you in.... underneath your skin, you are made of stringy looking things, boney looking things, squishy looking things, and red spidery looking stuff.

After a quick trip through Century 21, we moved uptown. It was off to the MoMA, which was much better than the Bodies exhibit. After wandering around, The Texan decided that he was going to say goodbye to his job and become a professional modern artist, creating arbitrary and deeply moving works of modern art, such as pictures of feet. Fortunately, New York City is a wonderful place to become a modern artist, and I'm expecting him to erupt onto the scene when he gets the pictures of trash that he took on Sunday developed.

There will be blogs about many of the fun and wonderful things that happened over the next few days including:

- Daring the Texan to Lick the Ice Bar to See if his Tongue Would Stick to it
- Sweeney
- The Dance Move that is ARMS WIDE AND SHIMMY
- Distract! Distract!
- The Quest For the Perfect Brasil T-shirt
- Labor Day Weekend in New York City with Eight One Dollar Bills
- The Adventures of Three Gay Men in a Straight Bar
- Dinner at Ali Baba's
- The Brazilian Street Festival
- Breakfast at Carnegie Deli
- Retelling of the Cheesecake Story
- Cucumbers are Fattening
- How to Pick Out the Perfect Wedding Gift
- The Two Performances of the Star Spangled Banner

Having said that ... stay tuned... and HAPPY BEST FALL EVER!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    So when summer comes back around, what happens then?

     
  • At 9:15 AM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Perhaps next summer will be even better than this one (as if it's possible) and it will then be the new and improved "Best Summer Ever."

    You'll just have to wait and see what happens. I know, I know, the anticipation is overwhelming.

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    I already have my 2008 calendar marked for the beginning of the Summer.

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    er... 2007. Whew, even I'm getting ahead of myself.

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger Kell said...

    Okay - Don't want to sound geeky but I saw the Body Worlds exhibit in Philly - then couldn't help myself but go to their website. The bodies are donated (it's a nice way to visit your beloved who left this earth for their afterlives - ew, I'm just kidding, yet so wrong!)

    Ok - I'm with you on the fetuses - I didn't nearly throw up, but the pregnant lady gave me pause for sure.

    I thought the site was kind of cool, and it's crazy inventor, who resembles Dr. Strangelove, is an interesting guy.

    Ok. I'm ending my geek post. Enjoy!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home