Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Saturday, September 23, 2006

BEST When it Rains, it Pours EVER

When life hands you lemons, I know you should make lemonade. But lately, I've just wanted to use those lemons to chase a few shots of Patron. After a fun-filled best summer ever and a great start to a best fall ever, the bests came to a screeching halt about a week ago.

Here is a recap of last week:

Saturday, September 16 - A couple months ago, my car bid adieu to its long-running, dependable life. Since I was working in the city throughout the summer, and I could get anywhere I needed by foot or metro, I was in no hurry to purchase a new car. Well, those days are over. Starting Monday, I would begin commuting out to Chantilly for work. This kind of commute necessitates a dependable car. Not a car that died on I-66 two months ago.

Well, I had an idea of what I wanted to buy (something that would not die on I-66 and was not too harmful to the environment), and what I wanted to spend (an amount that would not put an end to my quest to having a Best Fall Ever). And since my parents were in town for the weekend, they got to experience the pleasure of checking out a couple car dealerships with me. As it turns out, cars are a lot more expensive than they were 10 years ago (you know, when I obtained my first and only car to date). After spending a few hours looking and test-driving, I had it narrowed down to a couple different models, but I decided to think about it. Long story short, I walked away without a mode of transportation to get me to work on Monday.

(On the upside, my parents were in town and we went out to an delicious dinner with my aunt and uncle Saturday night).

Monday, September 18 - Here begins my "busy season," or rather, my uphill battle to enjoying the next two months. I returned to my longstanding client out in BFE (and I'm not talking about Best Fall Ever), where I will work crazy hours through November. Since I had not been on this client since November of last year, I forgot the joy of sitting in traffic while my life slowly passes me by. You may be wondering how I was able to enjoy such a spectacular commute since, after all, I no longer have a reliable mode of transportation. Well, the Wisconsinite was gracious enough to pick me up and drive me to work for the week.

(On the upside, he and I decided that we would continue our carpool even after I get a car in an effort to help save Mother Earth.)

Tuesday, September 19 - I decided I would start the day on a positive foot by jogging in the morning. Well, as I opened my bedroom door, a gigantic cockroach scurried past me into my room. I quickly ran to our cleaning supplies to grab a bottle of Raid. We did not own a bottle of Raid. We owned a bottle of Windex. I figured that could do a number on the crunchy bugger. I chased after it, but it rushed into my closet and hid itself beneath the boxes that line the floor of my closet. I put in a request to have our apartment fumigated, but our complex could not guarantee a visit until Wednesday. So that night, Kimmmm came home with a bottle of Raid and 18 little roach traps that are now discreetly placed throughout our apartment.

Despite our attempt at fumigating the apartment before the exterminator visit, I kept my closet door shut with plastic bags stuffed between the door and the carpet and a gigantic storage bin pushed up against the closet door. I know it may seem ridiculous, but I did not want my new little roommate to get cozy with me during the night.

(On the upside, I went jogging.)

Wednesday, September 20 - After a restless night of sleeping in fear that the hidden roach had given birth to hundreds of roach babies, I slowly got up and headed off to work. Regardless of how the day would go, I knew it'd end well because it was the day of our traditional happy hour hump day night.

However, when I arrived home after work and retrieved our mail, I was politely informed that at the end our lease in December, our rent would be increasing 25%. Come again??!! It's not as though we're paying pennies as it is. This is just days after Kimmmm and I decided that we were not going to move again until we were able to purchase homes (like in 2035). For the fourth time in three and a half years, we'll be going through the same old song and dance of finding a place to live in DC.

(On the upside, it gave us all the more reason to go out to Four Courts for happy hour hump day.)

Thursday, September 21 - Happy Hour Hump Day yielded a fabulous Thursday morning with major dehydration, a killer headache, endless nausea on a very long commute, and the constant reminder that we need to move.

(On the upside, the Office premiered!)

Friday, September 22 - Justin (Kimmmm's friend from college) arrived to visit for the weekend. After they had dinner, we all met up at Four Courts for a couple drinks. When I entered Four Courts, the ID checker at the door (I'd call him a bouncer, but he is hardly intimidating) asked to see my ID. This isn't bad, considering I'm almost flattered when people want to ID me now. But as I reached into my purse to present it to him, he said, "Nevermind, I remember you. You were here the other night." To what I replied, "Ummm, I'm not sure if that's a good thing." Okay, as long as we realize we have a problem, we only have eleven more easy steps to go.

(On the upside, I was carded.)

Whew! What a week! If you've made it this far, I thank you for your commitment to our blog... or rather, the slow-moving train wreck I like to call "my life."

Despite the storm cloud that has been over my head for the past week, I think sunny skies are in the future. The bests are already piling up as we eagerly anticipate the Virgin Festival on Saturday and another trip to NYC the following weekend to see CYHSY and the Yankees.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    You're welcome for reading your blog - it's always a pleasure!. So. What car did you buy? I always get mine used from places that don't haggle. I hate hagglers. They just piss me off.

     
  • At 8:16 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    What I've realized is that it's very difficult to car search when you are trying to have the Best Fall Ever. And so the car search continues...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home