Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Monday, October 02, 2006

BEST Coffee EVER

Throughout my childhood, my family would make frequent trips to Ohio to visit our relatives for birthdays and holidays. Insisting on making it a one-day trip, my parents always stopped for a hot cup of joe in the later hours on the way back to Indiana. Now, this wasn't just any cup of joe. This was specifically from Dunkin' Donuts*. Home of the best cup of coffee.

As you can imagine, as an eight-year-old, non-coffee-drinker, I was unimpressed with the wisdom my parents had just bestowed upon me.

Fast forward to this past week. Kimmmm and I made yet another trip to NYC (which will generate several more upcoming posts). Kimmmm began raving about the one thing you can find in NYC and not Washington DC. Any guesses? Here's a hint: it's not the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, or Derek Jeter. She was simply referring to the numerous Dunkin' Donuts locations throughout the city.

After we spent most of Thursday gallivanting around the city, Kimmmm was craving a cup of coffee, only she was really in the mood for something cold and refreshing. The perfect solution would be an iced coffee, right? Now, she didn't want just any iced coffee drink. She wanted it specifically from Dunkin' Donuts. Home of the best iced coffee drink. She vows that Dunkin' Donuts has consistently provided her with a perfect blend of coffee every single time she's ever been there.

And for those of you that were not aware, I am no longer an eight-year-old. However, I am still a non-coffee-drinker, and I was still unimpressed with the wisdom my roommate had just bestowed upon me.

Well, as we passed a nearby Dunkin Donuts, I kept Kimmmm company as she popped in to order her mouth-watering Coolatta. As she took the first sip, she was instantly in heaven and offered it to me to try.

"No thanks. I don't drink coffee."

"Just try it. It's a little piece of heaven."

"I don't want to be addicted to caffeine."

"You won't be addicted from one sip."

"Eh, what the hell…"

I grabbed a straw and took a sip.

"That. Is. AWESOME. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake."

"Nope, mostly just milk and ice, and a little bit of coffee. It's not even that bad for you."

I stuck my straw in for another sip. Absolutely as delicious as the first. Only this time, without even realizing it, I pulled out the straw and drained the other end of it into my mouth.

Kim shook her head and said, "You could've had another sip."

"No, I just couldn't waste one bit of this tasty little treat. I can't believe I'm already addicted to coffee."

"I told you they were to die for."

"Why did I wait so long to try this? I'm so sad that summer is over and I will have to wait until next summer to order Coolattas."

"False. They sell them year-round."

"Well, it's a good thing they aren't anywhere near us in DC, otherwise I'd get one everyday."

"False. They are just really, really far away from us in the DC metro area."

Well, when I returned to DC, staying true to my newfound addiction, I researched just how far away the nearest Dunkin' Donuts was. It turns out that we have our selection between two locations, both within 4-5 miles of home. Dunkin' Donuts is also looking for investors to franchise additional locations to meet the increased demand all over the country, including a proposed location in Arlington, VA. I'm in! Are there any other takers out there? Granted, I need to come up with a cool million to be considered. But just think of the benefits. I bet you receive Coolattas all the livelong day if you're a part-owner.

So that's where I am today, trying to strategize how I can consistently feed my addiction.

My advice to you, dear reader: If you find you are someone that develops addictions rather easily, NEVER EVER try a Dunkin' Donuts Coolatta. You will surely be hooked.

*Why, oh, why must they misspell "doughnuts?"

12 Comments:

  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger JTU said...

    Congrats on trying your first Coolatta. Guess you didn't end up at the DD that I walked halfway around NYC for only to get a series of grunts from the non-English speaking cashier informing me that the Coolatta machine was broken

     
  • At 6:48 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    I live in Fairfax and have a DD less than half a mile from home. It's rather fantastic, actually.

     
  • At 6:48 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    PS: I'll contribute $5.62 to the acquisition of a DD franchise. At least I'll be minority owner.

     
  • At 7:31 AM , Blogger Ph said...

    You know I'm always up for spending money.

     
  • At 9:05 AM , Blogger JTU said...

    I think I might someone who could handle the accounting for this new business adventure. . .

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    dunkin is all over raleigh... i almost want to run out right now and try a coolatta!!!

    *note* i'm also not a coffee drinker

     
  • At 7:32 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Okay, so far we have $5.62 from i-66, an undislosed amount from phillip, accounting expertise from jtu, and eternal patronage from melissa. We are well on our way to a very bright future in the doughnut industry. Did I mention that Dunkin' Donuts also sells doughnuts?

    Man, now I'm craving that tasty frozen treat all over again!

     
  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Blue Eyes said...

    I will invest only if we spell it "doughnuts". Drives me nuts that they spell it like idiots..."donuts"...they are forgiven however because of the coffee. And the salsa bagels.

     
  • At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i enjoy dunkins pumpkin muffins!

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    Here I am - trying to talk you through this small infatuation of yours. Coolattas are gritty and icy chunky. The truth is, you can make excellent anythings at home with a little milk, maybe some lo-fat vanilla ice cream and some coffee (maybe a half cup or 3/4 cup) in a blender. Now THAT's a little bit of heaven.

    (I also blend a frozen banana, stawberries, orange juice and 3 ice cubes that'll beat the crap out of Coolatta's Any Day.)

     
  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Mmmm, pumpkin muffins.

    Mmmm, homemade coolattas. Actually, Kimmmm and I are blending fanatics. Smoothies, shakes, iced coffee drinks, everything. Sometimes we want to live strictly off of things that can be consumed through a straw.

     
  • At 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    good thing you moved! There's now a DD in Eastern Market...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home