Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Monday, July 24, 2006

BEST Fringe EVER

(Sorry this is longer than usual. We were getting lazy with our postings, so I decided to make up for it in one.)

You know how you always see elderly folks with the best jobs? Well, they are generally volunteering, but still. They are always ushering people around major sporting events or handing out programs at theatre events. Whatever the case may be, they have a pretty sweet deal. And as luck would have it, I just received my first insight into what it is going to feel like in 40 years when I am volunteering at one of these events.

While I do not consider myself a performer (unless you count the times I've had a few too many cocktails and I like to think my hips don't lie), I am definitely a supporter of the Arts. On Sunday night, I was given the opportunity to help the Performing Arts community by volunteering at the inaugural Capital Fringe Festival. In case you have not picked up the Post over the past week, the Fringe Festival is a culmination of about 100 performances over an 11-day period. Apparently other major cities have hosted Fringe Festivals, such as NYC and Phili, but it had yet to make it to the nation's capital. It consists of all sorts of acts, ranging from original plays to dance to music. To a creepy Cirque du Soleil-esqe show. To an even creepier magic show. To the creepiest of all, a mime performance. You get the picture, they have a lot of shows.

You may be thinking, well the Kennedy Center and National Theater cannot possibly host all of these performances. You are correct. As it turns out, we have this "theatre district," which seems to extend mighty far up 7th Street. This was all news to me. On countless occasions, I have been around the Verizon Center area (generally for pomegranate margaritas at Rosa Mexicano), but I never spent much time gallivanting around this alleged "theatre district." This all changed on Sunday night.

I arrived at the Warehouse Mainstage (7th and M) to receive my volunteer assignment. After I threw on the stylish volunteer shirt provided, I was given my instructions:
Volunteer coordinator: You will work the box office at the Woolly Mammoth Theatre at 7th and D. The tickets are already there for you.
Me: Ummm, okay. Alone?
Volunteer Coordinator: Yes. You attended the training, right?
Me: No. (What? You train for this sort of thing?)
Volunteer coordinator:
Me
: Hehe. I'm a fast learner.

And off I went. Alone.

About ten blocks later, I arrived and handled the box office. Alone. After the show began, I walked back ten blocks and delivered the money and leftover tickets. And here's the kicker, I'm given a free pass to see any show during the festival as a "thank-you" for my shift. Man, this is one awesome volunteer gig.

Since I had a couple more hours to spare, I was assigned to work the Front of House for another show at the Canadian Embassy, which is located at about 3rd and C. So off I walk another 12 or so blocks. And, without any formal training, I managed to successfully rip the tickets in half. I know what you're thinking, "Wow, she's a miracle worker." It's true.

About 20 minutes into the show, I walked back the twelve blocks to officially check-out at the volunteer station. And, again, I am given a free pass to a show. And thanked profusely for my time.

So, here I am. I own a rockin' tee that commemorates the inaugural Capital Fringe Festival, I have two passes to see a show (with Kimmmm this week), I walked about five miles in the gorgeous weather, and I heard a lot about the "must sees" of Fringe Festival. Oh, and they are unbelievably appreciative of the volunteers.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to volunteering again on Tuesday night. Kimmmm and I will be seeing a show or two later this week, and we'll try to post about our first Fringe experience. Even if it pales in comparison to watching my drunken impression of Shakira's hips.*

*Unrelated to this post, except for the hip-shaking comments: A woman was purchasing her ticket at the box office and did a double-take at me. This is more common than you think, based on the number of times I've been told I look "just like …..” Seriously, I'm beginning to believe I share the same face with 85% of the World's population. Anyhow, this woman says, "oh, you were at the belly dancing class." I was not. But wouldn't it make me that much cooler if I was?

Here's to the Fringe Fest….a mighty spectacular addition to our city. Oh, and if you've seen anything that you either recommend to see or not to see, please leave a comment!

7 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger Ph said...

    There are at least two shows I'm looking to go see during Fringe, though I might not make it to them.

    May 39th, I think is the name of it and there is another one called Help Wanted. They both seemed good. I haven't looked into any others yet.

    And just an FYI, DC is the second largest theatre city in the country behind only NYC with over 80 theatres and companies.

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    May 39th was at the top of my list as well. I read about it after the writer was highlighted on DCBlogs. And, how can you pass up a play that uses this tagline: 1,000 years from now, dating in DC will still blow chunks.

    After Sunday night, I also heard great reviews about Never Swim Alone, which apparently was a hit at other festivals.

    Thanks for the DC theatre factoid. That's impressive that it beat out LA and Chicago.

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Blogger Ph said...

    I wanted to see Never Swim Alone too, but I think last night was the last night for it, or there's only one more performance and I can't get to it.

     
  • At 2:54 PM , Blogger Ph said...

    I'll tell you The Divine Mr. Average is tomorrow. I actually bought tickets this time so I don't have to deal with being turned away at the door again.

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Kimmm and I just got tickets (with Vijaya) for Spring Alibi tonight(Wednesday)at 8 and for May 39th tomorrow at 6.

    Are you in for either? She mentioned you may be in for the Big Orange. Or as we said in Spain, El Grande Naraja.

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We love all of our Volunteers. Thank you endlessly for your support!

    All best,
    Damian

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Comment

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home