Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Friday, November 10, 2006

BEST Borat EVER

Just an update: My mini-strike of not blogging that no one really knew about has ended. Emmmm and I are signing an apartment lease this weekend and you will soon be able to find us as barfly's at Cap Lounge rather than Four Courts.

So this past weekend, I went and saw the movie that everyone seems to be blogging or talking about… Borat. Apparently, he's also pissed off the nation of Kazakhstan, who is taking out ads in papers such as the New York Times, etc stating that Kazakhstan is a wonderful place to be and has many wonderful things… Some of the unwitting stars of the show (namely the RV full of frat boys) are embarrassed about their actions.

NPR even did a story about how the character of Borat is a wonderful political satire as Borat's bumbling attitude exposes deep seated prejudices of ordinary Americans… such as the cheering rodeo crowd when Borat says, "May George W Bush drink the blood of every Iraqi man, woman, and child." They didn't come out and say it, but the story definitely wanted to proclaim Sasha Cohen a comic genius.

What all of the allegedly "credible" sources failed to mention was the one thing that my sister (who incidentally hated the movie) did… "there is some full frontal male nudity that is really disgusting. It made me throw up in my mouth a little bit".

So, having all of these expectations and fair warning, I went and actually saw the movie so I could decide for myself. It turns out that the movie is a bit of everything, but not any one thing… it is offensive to those of Kazak descent, full of unwitting and dim witted Americans, contains a rodeo, and yes, had some gratuitously disgusting scenes that went on entirely too long and caused me to literally turn my head away from the screen.

So, go, see the movie, but don't expect anything except some mindless laughter. And in this day and age, isn't that all we really need anyway?

I'll end with the words of Borat himself, "To the world, I love you! Apart from Uzbekistan. "

2 Comments:

  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    I can't decide:

    1) See it in the theater
    2) Wait to see it on video
    3) Don't see it. I'm sure it will bug me, and I'm not sure I'll think it's funny, and I don't need another excuse to think people are stupid - and I'm sure I already have a dim enough view of the human condition... And sigh.

     
  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Luke said...

    kimmmmmmm... come on lady! i think it's an excellent mirror of america. the fact that this character can get away with the stuff he does is because of america's ignorance of geography and culture... it shows that america thinks that a place like Borat's Kazak can exist (where there's a town rapist and town mechanic and abortionist and they have no toilets or know what a hotel room is).

    maybe i read a little too much into things, but i think Borat does serve some purpose in defining america in the 21st century. Borat really does get to american values and ideals... none so more than the "throw the jew down the well" skit that he did in arizona and the rodeo skit in the movie.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home