Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

BEST Big Cup of Noodles in the Sky EVER


I have some sad news.

Momofuku Ando has passed away.

Right now, you are probably wondering why I am announcing the death of some obscure Japanese man or woman. Well, even if you don't realize it, Momofuku has probably had a dramatic impact on your life. The man INVENTED ramen noodles.

That's right the man behind the delicious salty broth, noodles that never quite cooked the right way, crinkly cellophane packages, etc has gone to the big cup of noodles in the sky.

As it was for most college students, Ramen was a part of my diet during my years in higher education. Granted, I didn't eat it every day… I was probably more of a weekly post bar this is great drunk food ramen eater, but I still did what every college student did…. I would drop $2 for a case of ramen and the beginning of the semester and when all other food options had expired, would indulge.

My favorite ramen related memory was when one of my good friends (Quoc) was in Morocco for the Peace Corp. For Christmas one year, I sent him about 10 packets of Ramen noodles, figuring that they would be an inexpensive thing to ship and provide him a taste of dorm life. So, I went to the store and bought the 10 packets for about $0.80, packed them up in a padded envelope (about $1.00) with a letter (about $0.10 worth of paper and ink) and brought the package up to the post office in Baker Hall. So all in all, about $1.90 worth of materials.

The man behind the counter weighed my package. He shook it. He added some more tape. He looked at the address. Then, he gave me the options…. "well, you could send this via airplane for $50.00," to which I inquired, "For $50, will you be bringing it there yourself?". Anyway, we haggled a bit, and I settled on sending it via pack-mule which would take at least 3 months for the bargain basement price of $15.00.

Anyway, so as you have to do when sending packages overseas, you have to declare the value. I triumphantly wrote "Ramen noodles $1.00" (I overestimated by about $0.10 as to not be embarrassed about sending such a crappy gift) and handed the slip back to him. He looked at it and the value and contents, and said "You really want to mail this?"

I really did. Apparently, even though it did travel by pack mule through who knows where and took 6 months to arrive and cost 1875% its value to get there, that ramen arrived just like it had come off the shelf.

And that is why I raise my fork full of salty goodness and drippy broth flavored water to you Momofuku.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:31 AM , Blogger JTU said...

    yum! I love Ramen. I remember growing up that my grandma would sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it and we'd have it for dinner sometimes. . .Well, at least she wasn't one of those elderly people who eat dog food.

    If only it wasn't so unhealthy, I'd still have it a couple of times a week.

    RIP Mr. Ramen Noodle man.

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    I'm scared to admit this, but I've never eaten Ramen. And to think I could have enjoyed college that much more at the minimal expense of eternal high blood pressure.

     
  • At 8:01 AM , Blogger I-66 said...

    Whaaaaaaaat?

    Emmmmm, say it ain't so!

    I should eat some Ramen in mourning. Rumors that I actually have some on hand in the kitchen can neither be confirmed nor denied.

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    Whatcha gonna do? Sorry for our collective loss. I believe Ramen will live on -

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home