Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

BEST Got Milk EVER

And we're back…..

That's right… Best Winter Evah has relocated to the banging neighborhood of Capitol Hill for the near future. Anyway, Emmmm and myself have had a lot of shizzle fizzlin' over the past few weeks… we packed the hastily acquired boxes, I took the CISA exam, there was a trip to Eastern Market, we moved, the movers hijacked a truck full of our possessions for a very confusing/harrowing hour, there was a company holiday party, work got a little crazy, we took a trip to Ikea, Sheesh came to visit, and I realized that I don't really like the taste of 2% milk anymore.

The other night, while packing, or unpacking, or doing something move related, I decided that I would have a nice big glass of milk. I've been a milk drinker since my childhood - my standard elementary school lunch for several years was a baloney sandwich with yellow mustard on white bread, a bag of chips, a green apple, and a thermos full of milk, which was usually lukewarm by the time lunch rolled around. Dinner usually featured a glass of cold milk as well. My culinary tastes have evolved since then (thank goodness), but I've remained an avid milk drinker. Times were kinder and gentler back then and no one was really concerned about trans, saturated, carbs, no carbs, etc, and we were a 2% family.

Back to the other night…I pour myself a big glass of milk and I'm packing up boxes. I take a sip and after swallowing it, I realize that the entire inside of my mouth is coated with a thin film. Gross! It was entirely possible that the milk had spoiled, as Emmmm and I hadn't eaten a home cooked meal in weeks.

I sniffed it. It didn't smell spoiled.

I took another sip.

Same film, no spoiled taste.

I decided to investigate further by looking at the expiration date, and it turns out that the milk hadn't even reached the sell by date. Then, I looked at the carton and noticed that it was 2%.

Suddenly it all came together… my mind raced through a series of houses and roommate situations… where various roommates would only drink skim, sorority sisters who didn't eat let alone drink anything that might have fat in it, parents who had converted to skim to be more "heart healthy", society at larges ungodly fear of anything that might even have fat in it, and I suddenly realized I couldn't even remember the last time that I had a glass of milk that wasn't skim.

My best guess is that it was circa 2002 when I lived with the Grindstaff's and accidentally drank a glass of whole milk (They were a Vitamin D family… needless to say, I had my own carton in the fridge that summer).

So yes, I am formally bidding adieu to the last bit of my childhood as the 2% goes the way of baloney sandwiches on white bread and potato chips.

Even with the new apartment and all of the very adult things that we do, It's hard to grow up sometimes.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger JTU said...

    It's one of those special turning points in your life like when you hit puberty or meet the man you're going to marry.

    (I'm a skim milker as well, but really only on cereal and with the rare plate of oreos.)

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger emmmmm said...

    Mmmmmm, watered down milk. It's the only way to go. 1% may as well be cream.

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kim- I don't know the percentage ( <100%) but I could take you up to my great-uncle's farm in PA and you can have milk, chilled for a few hours, straight from the cow. After drinking 2% it tastes like chocolate milk.

    And the cows appreciate a good head and ear rub.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home