Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tainted*

Let me set the stage.
I work on a client in the District. When I'm thirsty for a refreshing glass of water, I have two options: (1) Risk drinking DC tap water from one of the many drinking fountains, or (2) Pay dues to become a member of the Water Club. I chose the latter. As a member of the Water Club, I have unlimited access to a water cooler filled with fresh, clean, non-DC, filtered water. It is worth the $5 monthly dues to know that every sip I take does not come fortified with minerals, such as lead and rocket fuel.

Well, since I have been traveling for work and not physically present at said client, I was not able to pay July dues for the Water Club. Upon returning to the client this week, as the temperature climbed near 100-degrees, the Water Club Manager was not around to collect the dues, so I was not permitted to drink from the cooler. I figured I would make due and resort to other beverages to get me through the week. Everything went as planned, until yesterday. I was dying for a glass of water. And not a 16.9 oz bottle, I wanted to fill my entire 32 oz Nalgene.

I had quite the dilemma on my hands. I could not risk drinking from the Club's water cooler if I had not paid my monthly dues. But could I really risk drinking from the DC water fountain? Wellllll, I decided to throw in the towel and go for it. I headed over to the nearby fountain and topped off my 32 oz bottle. Then, I added a little Green Tea To Go mixture to mask the taste, and I was good to go.
As I gulped down the last drop, I knew it was worth the risk.

Until I picked up the Express this morning. On the front page, staring right back at me:

8 Comments:

  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Blue Eyes said...

    Time for another Simpsons reference... "if it's black, send it back. If it's brown, drink it down"

     
  • At 10:46 AM , Blogger The Green Miles said...

    Use a filtered pitcher when you can, but a glass of tap water here and there ain't gonna kill you.

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Blogger Rob said...

    Did you know that tap water is more heavily regulated for purity then bottled water. It is also more environmentally friendly for a nunber of reasons. Additionally the increased levels of chlorine were planned and it is an annual thing that WASA does from May-July to clean out the pipes. I drink tap water all the time and I am doing just fine. If you dont like the way it tastes get a filter.

     
  • At 11:05 PM , Blogger Capital Complainer said...

    I hate the water club and the elitist attitude they have in my office. I wish I could taint their precious Deer Park water with some DC water. Do they even know where Deer Park is bottled? Most bottling places are in PA near landfills! Mmmm, enjoy your oh so pure water. Thanks but I will take my chances with the flouride and the chlorine for my teeth and skin. At least I will have my teeth and better skin when I am 80 and they will have dentures and acne. Sucks to be them and have to pay 5 dollars a month!

     
  • At 3:00 PM , Blogger Kell said...

    sheesh. I'd have risked the water cooler.

     
  • At 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    DC water almost turned me homosexual. Fortunately I started drinking bottled water after only sleeping with 6 or 7 guys. Whew !

    Take your chances...

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    when are you going to do a new post?

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Blogger Kell said...

    Where are you guys?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home