Best Summer Ever

On our way to having the best summer (or spring or autumn or winter) EVER......

Sunday, February 18, 2007

BEST Connection in Miami EVER

As a general rule, good things do not happen when the Miami airport is involved. I was a bit apprehensive about flying to Peru via Miami, but it was the cheapest fastest way to get there.

Things got off to a rocky start in DC when we were about 3/4 of the way to the metro and we realized that we had neglected to take out our bagged trash. So, we turned around and headed back home to avoid returning home to a biohazard in two weeks.
Back to the metro it was!

I thought things would go okay at Reagan - check-in was okay, security was empty, and they loaded us on to the plane on time. I had a middle seat, which wasn't that great, but I would live.

The rest of the passengers file on, and a family with a small child sits behind us.

We wait.

And then, we wait some more.

Finally, the Captian comes on and explains that the plane is broken, specifically, the bathroom and that someone has to fix it before we can leave. As we wait, he launches into a lengthly tutorial on the mechanics of an airplane bathroom and the various types of suction involved. I miss most of this because the child behind me has begun screaming and kicking my middle seat, which he does for the next two and a half hours.

Finally, mercifully, the plane lands and the little monster sticks his head up over the seat. He's one of those little kids with huge eyes and a big grin. Emily immediately begins cooing at him, touching his hands, and exclaiming "He's just like a real person, only tinier" while I mouth "I hate him so much". As a final insult, or maybe because he heard me, the kid sneezes. Directly on my head.

In case you missed it, let me repeat. I WAS SNEEZED ON!

We ended up getting off the plane at 9:55, not yet having had dinner. With the exception of the 24 hour Burger King, everything in the aiport closes promptly at 10 pm. We wander around for a bit, and Emily decides to try and get Dunkin Donuts to make one last breakfast sandwhich, and I decided to try my luck with the Burger King, which in retrospect, was a huge mistake, just like flying through Miami.

The Burger King had only four people working and about 50 customers ranging from a gaggle of women with a church group, moms with kids, people who don't speak English or Spanish, and in the middle of all of it, tired cranky me. The employees at Burger King were of the surly and slow variety, and based on the sheer volume of screaming by customers, order accuracy was not their forte.

After a painful 20 minutes of waiting and still no food, I had come to the conclusion that the Burger King at the Miami Airport is about as close to hell on earth as it gets. As I looked into the eyes of the pimply teenager who finally handed me my chicken sandwich and bottle of water, I saw a reflection of the devil himself.

I backed slowly out of the Burger King and got in the security line, where of course, my newly purchased un-opened bottle of water was promptly confiscated because as a freedom loving God fearing American, I also moonlight as a liquid toting terrorist.

Despite this rocky start, I have high hopes for the rest of this trip, namely because it doesn't involve the Miami airport. We'll blog when we can.

** Also, CONGRATS TO CASSIE AND MANNY FOR TYING THE KNOT THIS WEEKEND. HAVE A GREAT HONEYMOON AND WEDDING **

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home